Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Travel Troubles

Sooooooooooooooooooooo....

It's about 4:20 MST in Calgary, my flight boards at 5:40, departs at 6:15, and I'm on my 2nd glass of wine. Oh, did I mention I'm in the Maple Leaf lounge again? (Thanks again to my awesome roomie!). I've been here for about 20 minutes, munching away on some cookies and...Oh, Look! They jsut brough out some cheese trays, salad, and soup! Yeah, this is the life.

But about 2 hours ago, I can tell you I was NOT so calm. Well even 24 hours ago I wasn't so calm. Hearing about this "Snowstorm" which was to attack Toronto and watching flight after flight get cancelled. I got to admit, I was having a major stress black out worrying that I wasn't goint to be able to make it home this time around.\

Let me explain the stupid scenarios in my head.
1. My flight gets cancelled.
Issue: I was supposed to be home before my long time friend flew out Friday morning to Korea, I miss Chinese New Year with my family, I waste my vacation days at work, miss out on Canoe, Biermarket, friends, etc. Also, might I add, my fligh is the last one out of Calgary. I miss this one, and the EARLIEST I can catch on the way out is at about 6am, IF that one isn't cancelled.
2. My flight gets delayed for goodness knows how long
Issue: My dad waits in the friggin cold forever for my flight to arrive - he's not good with computers so doesn't really know how to check for arrival times/delays. He also needs to wake up at 7:00am the next day to drive my sister to her doctor's appt. To avoid this, I book a hotel near the airport. I pay $90 out of pocket to get a 2bedroom (it's what they had - but it's a pretty sweet deal) at Radisson Hotels near the airport. Pro: if my flight gets delayed, it's okay because it's a 24hr free shuttle service :). Con: flight gets cancelled, and I lose that $90 and all of the above previously listed.

Then I realized... I can't really stress out too much. As people say, stressing doesn't help with anything. So now I sit here, in the lounge, clicking the refresh button on my webpage notifying me about delays. Worst case scenario = my flight gets cancelled due to the "anticipation of snow" in Toronto, I lose the $90, I go to work tomorrow (or wait for the next flight out - have yet to decide), and drink myself silly with wine and indulge in cookies until I get kicked out.

C'est la vie!

Final Thought:
When I grow older, I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to be an alliance member. These perks are awesome!

ps-

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!!!!!


wishing you all the best of luck in the year of the Rabbit!

No comments: