Sunday, January 16, 2011

Chinooks...

So currently as I type, weather network in forms me it is -20*C outside (feels like -31*C) with winds of 22km/h. Needless to say, I'm staying in today!

My original plan was to go grocery shopping, but that can wait.

What I am pseudo looking forward to is this Chinook that is supposed to be here this week!

Because of the mountains, Calgary frequently gets these warm winds that raise winter temperatures by 10 - 20*C. These warm spells can last for hours or days. You can read about it on Wikipedia HERE.

So looking at the 14day trend available on the weather Network website:

We're due for some warm winds soon!

The downfall:

Unfortunately, these Chinook winds also bring migraines (read HERE). I can already tell that for the first few days, I'll be down for the count and burying my head in my blankets. The other downside to these winds are, since they tend to warm up enough to melt any snow and ice, Calgary doesn't really care to plow any of the roads or use salt to melt the ice. So essentially what happens is cars drive and drive and pack down the existing snow into this thick slippery sheet of snow. Then the warm wind will come in and melt it. BUT if the wind doesn't melt it completely, and the temperature drops once again, then what you get is formation of ice. In Calgary it gets way too cold to use salt on the roads. So what they use is sand or gravel. So essentially... you'll get a chipped windshield from all the rocks being pelleted at your car. It's pretty much inevitable.

On the plus side, I'm hoping to go snowshoeing in Kananaski Country two weekends from now. I found this deal on a "Groupon"-like site which included a 2-3 hour tour pointing out animal tracks, teaching us how to build and igloo, and more! (Link) So I'm excited for that. Still deciding on if I should bring my SLR or my point and shoot. The case for my SLR is quite large, so perhaps maybe my point and shoot which can fit in my coat pocket? Maybe Both? Meh, I got two weeks to decide.

Depending on the weather I might opt to stay in Banff or Canmore for the night. Perhaps do some day hikes? I'm still waiting on my Hiking book that my friend borrowed from me. He borrowed it when he was down and accidentally took it with him to Montreal. Unfortunately... it's still in the mail...

Final Thought: I need to purchase some nice thermal leggings. Does anyone know of a good brand?

No comments: