Friday, November 26, 2010

Attempting to Survive

So I've been here for a while now...It's quite the battle with mother nature to survive here.

First off, there's the bitter cold (see previous post for example temperature) and then there's the dryness. Unlike Toronto, this place is not situated around a lake providing ample amounts of humidity. Instead, every morning I wake up to this burning dryness in my nose, a post nasal drip due to the thickened viscosity of my mucus, and sadly a sore throat which follows. Now this is EVERY morning I'm talking about. It gets worse, there was something wrong with my heater a while back so I was even freezing at night. The cold kept me up to a point where every night I had a space heater on, and I was using one of those instant heat packs to warm me up. This is on top of wearing socks, sweatpants, a sweater, and a scarf to bed. Luckily I fixed that heating issue already.

Now back to that dryness. So Every night I use a Netipot to hydrate my nose, nasal gel, gargle with salt water, and have a humidifier on FULL BLAST. All in all, that does nothing... I still wake up with a sore throat, post nasal drip, and nose bleeds or remnants of one. For the rest of my day, I pretty much spend it dry coughing and attempting to loosen the phlegm that is stuck to the back of my throat. Attractive...isn't it?

The only thing that keeps me alive is that hot shower in the morning where I can get the most humidity.

Final Thought: If you're coming to Calgary...make note you will feel like you're living in a dehydrator and you're slowly but surely drying up.

No comments: